- Name Western Way
- Distancia de sendero 179 km, 111 millas
- Duración en días 7 días
- Inicio de sendero Oughterard
- Fin de sendero Ballycastle
- Clasificación Traildino MW, Caminata moderada, sendero de mochileros
- Clasificación Travesía de refugios T1, Caminata
Western Way, Oughterard - Ballycastle, 179 km, 7 days
Prepare for a real muddy experience, and this isn't even New Zealand. This trail explores some of the bleakest and most midge infested areas of Ireland, the west. This is the unhappy scene of the 19th century, when thousands of poor peasants died from famine, followed by an emigration wave that depopulated the area.
The Western Way starts on the shores of Lough Corrib, climbs a windy pass, descends to Killary Harbour - a pretty fjord like sea inlet. Follows a more populated area. Further north, the path enters a true wilderness area, mountains dominate the horizon, wind farms beyond, bog beneath your feet. At places, The path has been reinforced with planks. You will cross vast areas of conifer plantations. If you want a B&B for sleep, you probably have to arrange a pick up in this area.
- Oranginas, hiking trails Europe Abril 1994
- Calificación 8
- Positivo Moors, peat, Crough Patrick, The Twelve Bens, the fantastic Bangor-trail: slowly increasing, clumps of grass and looking for the best Western-way.â€¦â€¦...sometimes with a lot of water, from above and on the ground, in the shoes, in everythingâ€¦.. emptiness........
- Negativo Some sections with asphalt
- Henk Nouws Agosto 1997
- Calificación 7
- Positivo Emptiness.
- Negativo Midges, billions.
- Joke ter Weele Agosto 1997
- Calificación 6
- Positivo The beautiful green landscape
- Negativo Midges and rain