The United Arab Emirates is a federation of seven states or emirates, of which Dubai and Abu Dhabi (the largest) are probably the best known. All are located in the southeast of the Arabian Peninsula facing the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. Most of the landscape consists of arid desert plains, sand dunes, dry river beds or wadi's and the occasional oasis. Only in the northeast are the high mountains of the Western Hajar range, partly on the border with Oman.
The northeast is also the place to head for if you want to explore on foot. Well known are the Hatta pools, and the spectacular "Stairway to Heaven" which is in fact an old trail of the local Shihu tribe, winding up steeply from the Ghalilah Wadi. But there are other beautiful mountains and wadi's to explore in the mountainous emirates of Fujairah and Ras Al Khaima.
Climate in the Emirates is hot and dry year round, with highest temparatures and humidity in July and August. So always make sure you carry plenty of drinking water, and protection against the sun.
- Simple Gestures
- The Greater Middle East poses major challenges for the United States. Yet despite decades of intense involvement in Middle Eastern affairs, most Americans still know little about the cultures of the region. ”Simple Gestures” describes one American`s efforts over forty years to better understand the society in the countries where she lived and... Leer más
- United Arab Emirates - Dubai - Abu Dhabi Reise Know-How
- United Arab Emirates at 1:470,000 on a double-sided, waterproof and tear-resistant road map with topographic and tourist information, plus a plan of Dubai City with an enlargement of its central area and a plan central Abu Dhabi City. The map is part of Reise Know-How’s highly acclaimed World Mapping Project.The main map at 1:470,000 covers... Leer más
- Dubai - United Arab Emitares & Oman ITMB
- Double-sided map from the ITMB presenting on one side a street plan of Dubai at 1:15,000 and on the reverse a road map at 1:1,400,000 covering the United Arab Emirates with Oman, with street plans of central Muscat and Salalah. All place names on both sides of the map are in the Latin alphabet only.On one side is a clearly presented street plan... Leer más
- Dubai Flexi Map
- Dubai on an Insight Flexi Pocket Map in their new format introduced to provide more convenient access to the special features of this series: various additional maps and/or street plans plus tourist information including a list of must-see sights. The map is tear-resistant, waterproof, and can be written on with non-permanent marker pens. On... Leer más