Hong Kong was a British colony for many years. No surprise, hiking trails have been established here over the decades. And the Hong Kong citizens themselves do enjoy walking, so the tradition lives on. Good news for us!
If your image of Hong Kong is one of skyscrapers only, you're biased. The fact is that, among the densely populated financial centers of Asia, Hong Kong stands out in nature. Main asset of Hong Kong, from our point of view of course, are the Country Parks. These safe havens for nature were established in the seventies by Murray MacLehose, the governor who fought corruption and obstructed democracy. Four main trails, and more smaller trails, explore these Country Parks.
You are never faraway from the large population areas, and still, nature will present itself from the wild side: “hills” up till 1000 meter, beautiful coast line with sea inlets and quiet beaches, forests and shrub lands. Attractive also are the exotic small villages (yes, not far from towering skyscrapers) where you often can find a place to sleep. Hong Kong partially consists of islands, the best known is Hong Kong Island itself, and the largest of them is Lantau.
The four main trails are the Hong Kong Trail (50 km), the MacLehose Trail (100 km), the Wilson Trail (78 km) and the Lantau Trail (70 km). Often, it is possible to divide your trail in neat portions return to your hotel and the bustling city life at night, have a good sleep, and turn back, tidy and well fed, to your last evening's trailhead by public transport. Alternatively, you might enjoy camping in the outdoor. Most villages offer some kind of overnight staying, including temples.
There are many more smaller trails, indicated on the maps. Check out Roz's website (see links section below), if you want to find out more.
Hiking is possible year round, but during the hot season - June till September - you will sweat your bones out, if not washed away already in one of those plunge sessions. Dry weather or pouring rain, do carry lots of water on your hike.
We can recommend Pete Spurrier's guide to the four main trails: “The Serious Hiker's Guide to Hong Kong”, available in the English bookshops. Maps can be purchased from the Map Publication Centers. Best are the excellent Countryside Series, showing the main trails and smaller trails. In the field, the waymarking is up to date.
So, unpack at the airport, jump on the Star Ferry, and take a break halfway your business trip. And if you liked it, pray for the survival of the Country Parks.
- Lonely Planet Hong Kong Pocket Guide
- The Lonely Planet Pocket Guide to Hong Kong offers frank and informal advice on an extensive range of sights, activities, accommodation, restaurants and nightlife. Ride the legendary Star Ferry, take in the views from Victoria Peak, or stroll along Tsim Sha Tsui East Promenade.Written and researched by a team of experts, this book is... Leer más
- Hong Kong and Macau Marco Polo Guide
- Marco Polo Hong Kong: the Travel Guide with Insider Tips Experience all of Hong Kong`s attractions with this up-to-date and authoritative guide, complete with `Best Of` recommendations. Find hotels and restaurants, check out the city`s trendiest places and nightlife scene. There are tips for shopping and getting by on a low budget as well as... Leer más
- Also available from:
- Bol.com, Netherlands
- Beijing Walks - Exploring the Heritage
- Beijing Walks in the Odyssey Guides series; aimed at travellers particularly interested in the culture and history of their destination; the guides focus on the atmosphere, customs, and distinctive character of a country, region or city. As the only English language publisher based in China, Odyssey Guides specialize in Asian destinations,... Leer más
- Also available from:
- The Book Depository, United Kingdom
- The English Teacher`s Guide to China
- For any English teacher, prospective or current, who is looking to make the most of their time teaching in China, there is no better tool than Panda Guides` The English Teacher`s Guide to China. The Middle Kingdom is one of the most fascinating and exotic places any Westerner can travel to. And that means things like culture shock, food and... Leer más
- Natuurgids A Naturalist's Guide to the Birds of China | John Beaufoy
- This easy-to-use identification guide to the 280 bird species most commonly seen in Southeast China is perfect for resident and visitor alike. High quality photographs from the region's top nature photographers are accompanied by detailed species descriptions which include nomenclature, size, distribution, habits and habitat. The user-friendly... Leer más
- Reisgids City Guide Shanghai | Lonely Planet
- De perfecte reisgids voor zowel de georganiseerde als de zelfstandige reiziger. Naast een algemene inleiding van het land / streek vol met praktische informatie over hoe je er het beste kunt reizen: slapen, eten, vervoer, excursies ... alles kun je er in vinden. Shànghǎi: few cities in the world evoke so much history, excess, glamour, mystique... Leer más
- Reisgids The Silk Road Xi'an to Kashgar | Odyssey
- For today's traveler, it is not only the weight of history that makes the Silk Road intriguing, but the incredible diversity of scenery and ethnic people along the way. This beautifully photographed and intelligent book is the authoritative guide to travel in the region. An incomparable guide to the Silk Road, from Xi'an to Kashgar, it takes... Leer más
- Reisgids Dominicus China | Gottmer
- Rijk geillustreerde gids over China met nadruk op historische en culturele hoogtepunten. Daarnaast nog veel besprekingen van toeristische plaatsen. Zonder meer een complete gids met in deze nieuwe editie aandacht voor landschap en natuur. Met veel foto’s is het een lust voor het oog. Een zeer uitgestrekt land met een grote diversiteit aan... Leer más
- Reisgids Eyewitness Travel Beijing & Shanghai | DK
- The DK Eyewitness Travel Guide : Beijing and Shanghai will lead you straight to the best attractions both cities have to offer. The guide includes unique cutaways, floorplans and reconstructions of Beijing and Shanghai's stunning architecture, plus 3D aerial views of the key districts to explore on foot. You'll find detailed listings of the... Leer más
- Reisgids Te gast in China | Informatie Verre Reizen
- Uitgeverij Informatie Verre Reizen heeft haar nieuwe pocketreeks uitgebreid met TE GAST IN China. Deze uitgave bevat bijdragen van zes auteurs die een bijzondere band hebben met het land. Op levendige wijze en met kennis van zaken doorbreken ze in deze gevarieerde bundel het bekende cliché beeld over China. In deze uitgave laten we zien dat het... Leer más
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region DOUBLE-SIDED
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China on a double-sided topographic map at 1:50,000 from its official Survey and Mapping Office, with bilingual place names and English language map legend. Current edition was published in 2017.The map has contours at 50m intervals, enhanced by relief shading and altitude colouring, plus graphics to... Leer más
- China Hallwag Road Map
- Large general road map covering China with an inset of Beijing at larger scale.Cartography has subtle shading for elevation with spot heights clearly marked. All major roads are shown, including highways, trunk roads, tracks, and also road numbering and distances shown in kilometers. Railways, ferries, airports are also marked, as are... Leer más
- Mount Gongga Glaciers
- Mount Gongga Glaciers on a detailed, contoured map at 1:25,000 published by the Chinese Institute of Glaciology and based on surveys carries out in early 1980s and aerial photography from December 1996. The map has contours at 20m intervals, enhanced by shading, plus graphics and/or colouring for exposed rock, scree, moraine, crevasses,... Leer más
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (100K)
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region on a topographic map at 1:100,000 from its official Survey and Mapping Office, with bilingual place names and English language map legend. Current edition was published in 2015.The map has contours at 50m intervals, vividly enhanced by relief shading, plus colouring and graphics to show swamps, mangrove,... Leer más